Sunday, July 15, 2012

We don't follow the Yellow Brick Road will skip down the Green Lane

A few weeks ago I stumbled across this awesome activity when I was searching for lesson plans to make the kids more aware of environmental issues. I figure it's a problem that unfortunately they are going to inherit, they should at least understand the issues, who knows it may help them with future employment.

The site is called http://www.greencrossaustralia.org/ so I emailed them and they sent me 2 Green Lane Diaries and a workbooks. Basically you work through the book with the kids and you complete your diary. There are plenty suggestions on how to help the environment from saving water to major projects that maker a larger impact. The best thing is it shows the kids that they can really make a difference I am all about empowerment. Here is a video with a bit of an intro:


We had a bit of a science day today. You see Mali saw this ant farm at Toy World yesterday and of course she really wanted it. I decided this was not an essential item and she then launched into her 100 reasons why it would be a good idea, so to bring a sudden end to this conversation I had a brilliant idea - lets see if we can make one!

After a very quick search I found this video which served our purpose:


So this morning I put Brett to work on this one (yes I know it was my idea, and yes I am spoilt to have him help out and yes I am very very grateful !!!) and in under an hour they had created it:


They did a great job, don't you think? Of course Mali now thinks the ants might be sad or might take their revenge by getting in her bed in the middle of the night. So it may only last long enough to see them build their tunnels.

Good ol' Mali she knows how to milk this homeschooling business!

0 comments:

Post a Comment